Wi-Fi range extenders which are also called range expander is nothing but kind of a wireless repeater that holds the feature to increase the range and reach of a wireless LAN. A Wi-Fi extenders are generally situated in-between the base router, and the client who is not close enough to receive acceptable service or you can say one that lives on the other side of the barrier. A Wi-Fi extenders can easily connect to the access point or router, and then it picks up the signal and retransmits it.
- 1 The Best Wi-Fi Extenders – Top Picks
- 1.1 1. NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (EX3700-100NAS)
- 1.2 2. Netgear EX6200-100NAS AC1200 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX6200)
- 1.3 3. D-Link DAP-1520 IEEE 802.11n 750 Mbps Wireless Range Extender
- 1.4 4. AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range ELinksysxtender / Repeater with High-Gain AntennREas (6500HG-FFP)
- 1.5 5. D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender & Access Point (DAP-1650)
- 1.6 6. NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (EX7300)
- 1.7 7. Linksys Velop
- 1.8 8. D-Link DAP-1320 Wireless N300 Range Extender
Is Wi-Fi extender worth spending money on?
The answer to this question will depend on your situation. Do you face a situation where you cannot receive your router’s signal in some parts of your office or home? If yes, then you should surely consider buying one. Though there are tons of Wi-Fi extenders available out there in the market, only a handful of those can offer you the features that you need in a great price range. If you are planning to buy one shortly, then we would recommend you to have a look at the list of top 8 Wi-Fi range extenders that we have shortlisted after testing and considering the reviews of numerous clients.
The Best Wi-Fi Extenders – Top Picks
1. NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender (EX3700-100NAS)
NETGEAR AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender is an ideal option for the home. However, if you are looking for a Wi-Fi range extender for office or workplace, then you should consider exploring other options. You can plug this Wi-Fi extender directly into the wall socket. It is dual band and offers throughput of around 750Mbps.
- It supports 802.11ac
- Wi-Fi signal extends up to 100 feet
- Can be used as a bridge as well as dual-band access point
- 5GHz band’s range us short
- Has only one Ethernet port
- No USB support
Check this to see the full review of NETGEAR AC750
2. Netgear EX6200-100NAS AC1200 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX6200)
This dual-band Wi-Fi extender is both affordable as well as versatile. This very gadget supports latest Wireless AC standard and in addition to that can act as a second Wi-Fi access point. This Wi-Fi extender can extend the coverage of router by several hundred square feet.
- Easy setup instructions
- Great coverage
- Dual band
- Can connect printers and USB external drives via USB 3.0 port
- Isn’t wall-mountable
3. D-Link DAP-1520 IEEE 802.11n 750 Mbps Wireless Range Extender
D-Link DAP-1520 can be plugged into a wall socket and can extend your network’s coverage with a simple push of a button. It doesn’t feature network bridging functionality. It’s cheap, easy to use and small and you will get your money’s worth by buying this gadget.
- Dual band
- Is compact
- Easy to set up and use
- No wired bridging
4. AC1200 MAX Wi-Fi Gigabit Range ELinksysxtender / Repeater with High-Gain AntennREas (6500HG-FFP)
Let’s be clear it surely isn’t the fastest extender in the market at close range, but Linksys AC1200 dual band extender is one of the best extenders designed for specifically for long range. It also features fast Ethernet port which means you will also be able to connect wired devices. It’s cute and small, and the best part is that it comes with a two-year warranty.
- Easy to manage and install
- Great price
- Average file transfer speed
- Comes with non-removable antennas
5. D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender & Access Point (DAP-1650)
You will love this router as its design is both compacts as well as neat. The cylindrical design of this very router allows the signal to be distributed in all angels or directions equally, whereas in case of rectangular design signal tends to be stronger on sides only. You won’t get 802.11ac or 3.0 USB port. D-Link has focused a lot on the budget for this very router. If you need something that packs power as well as is available at an affordable price then consider going for this very device.
- Have a tasteful and smart design
- Great price
- Strong wireless throughput
- Performance decreases with range
- Doesn’t have great features
Check this out to see more info about D-LINK WIRELESS AC1200 DUAL BAND
6. NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200 Wi-Fi Range Extender (EX7300)
If you are looking for a continent plug-in range extender that has multiple inputs and multiple output technology, then NETGEAR Nighthawk X4 AC2200 can be a great option for you. This very technology allows this extender to communicate with multiple devices; this means that a whole family can easily stream heavy content that too without buffering. It can reach a speed of 1733Mbps on the 5.4GHz band and on the 2.4GHz band it can give up to 450Mbps speed.
- Easy setup
- Available at a great price
- Size of this signal extender is a bit on the bulky side
Check this out to see more about NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK X4 AC2200
7. Linksys Velop
This very router packs the power to turn a large home into your own Wi-Fi playground, which means that you will have strong network in every corner of your house. Though we found that this device has the most powerful throughput in midrange devices, but Linksys Velop is a bit expensive than its rivals. Linksys Velop comes in different packs, and each pack contains different Velop units. The higher one will have three Velop units, and the lowest priced comes with one unit.
- Setting up is quite easy
- Great range
- Is Expensive
- Packs very basic feature set
- Is comparatively slower than other extenders in the same price range
8. D-Link DAP-1320 Wireless N300 Range Extender
This signal extender might look small and fragile to many, but in reality, it packs a lot of power. The two prongs of this very extender directly plug into an electrical outlet. This great piece of wireless technology has a simple yet elegant design and has just one LED on its side to show connection status and a single WPS button.
- Easy to setup
- Is compact and is the smallest signal extender in this list
- Have great signal coverage
- Will require setup near the router