One of the most important tools to have in the kitchen is a knife set. Having a good knife set allows you to prepare your ingredients better and easier. It also allows you to get your desired cuts. A knife set is essential for all home cooks and chefs. So without further ado, let us walk you through the top ten best chef knife set of 2021.
You might be interested in Top 10 Best Oiless Fryer in 2021
Best Chef Knife Set Review
10. YARENH Kitchen Knife Set Professional 5 Piece Chef Knife Set
The material of this best chef knife set is from Japan and Europe. The blades of this best chef knife set is from 73 layers of Damascus steel. This set is very sharp and durable. It is really high quality and it is going to give you a great cutting experience. Plus, its wood handle offers a great grip too. It is very easy to hold and the color and the texture is just amazing. Moreover, each knife of this set has a different length and size. You can use these knives for many cooking and cutting styles.
- high performance
9. Home Hero Chef Knife Set Knives Kitchen Set
Having this best chef knife set is like having a personal assistant in the kitchen. Each knife is stainless steel and rust-resistant. It also has a nonstick coating which is really useful. Plus, it is really easy to clean as it’s dishwasher safe. Moreover, this set comes with a knife sharpener for you to easily sharpen your knives too. It has two modes for you to choose which are fine and coarse sharpening.
- high quality
8. HQY Professional Knives
Prepare your meal in style with this best chef knife set. This best chef knife set offers seven-piece of the most elegant looking knives ever. Plus, each one of them is very sharp and it’s perfect for cutting and chopping any type of food. They are very durable and the handles have sophisticated ergonomic designs on it. They look very stylish and it makes a great gift idea. It is perfect for home-cooks, culinary students, chef, and foodies. This set also comes with a black case that it is easy for storage and to bring around with.
7. Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Cutlery Knife Block Set
Whether you’re chopping, slicing or dicing, this best chef knife set offers precise and clean cuts every time. This set has a very sharp knife and it is very easy for you to use. Plus, they are very long-lasting and durable. It also comes with built-in ceramic sharpeners so you can sharpen your knives anytime you want.
- built-in ceramic sharpeners
6. Kessaku 4 Knife Set
Tackle all your culinary needs with this best chef knife set. This set uses the ultimate cutting edge technology and each of them is handcrafted. They are very high quality and durable. Plus, this set is corrosion resistant as well as rust-resistant. Moreover. Its handle is very comfortable and it offers great grip and strength. Furthermore, the handles have a very simple yet sophisticated pattern and it looks amazing.
- premium construction
- Comfortable design
Check this out: Top 10 Best Camping Knife In 2021
5. Ginsu Gourmet Chikara Series Forged 19-Piece Japanese Steel Knife Set
All the tools that you need to prepare a delicious meal are within this best chef knife set. It offers a razor-sharp blade so you can approach any recipe with confidence. Plus, it stays sharp longer than regular knives as well. Plus, it looks very modern and stylish. Moreover, this set is very high quality and comfortable to hold. Furthermore, the handles offer a perfect grip and great control.
Check this out: Top 10 Best Pampered Chef Chopper in 2021
4. Wanbasion 6 Pieces Matte Black Titanium Plated Knife Set
This best chef knife set is very unique as the material is black titanium metal stainless steel. The high-quality stainless steel of this set makes it really hard to rust. Plus, it is very sharp. Having this set allows you to cut, dice, slice, or chop however you want. Whether you want to slice meat, veggies, or fruits, this best chef knife set is the one to go. It is very functional and great to have in your kitchen.
- high quality
3. KYOKU Knife Block Set
Unleash your inner master chef spirit with this best chef knife set. Each knife of this best chef knife set is very stylish. It is very comfortable to hold so your hand won’t hurt after a long period of slicing or chopping. Moreover, this set is very durable. Not to mention how sharp its blades are. Also, this set comes with a wood block for easy storage and great display as well.
- extreme sharpness
2. Cangshan TV2 Series Steel Forged 8-Piece Knife Block Set
An all in one best chef knife set that includes everything you need. This set has a chef knife, bread knife, slicing knife, utility knife, and more. It literally has everything you need to prepare a delicious meal. Plus, its material is high-quality stainless steel so it is really sharp. Moreover, it is very safe to use for your food as it is FDA-certified. Also, the black design of this set is very unique and cool. You can get this set for your culinary friend or your mom as a present since it is very functional and modern.
- all in one
- Super sharp
1. DALSTRONG Knife Set Block
This best chef knife set is essential to any chef. This set is incredibly sharp and high quality. It uses premium material and it has amazing quality. Its handles have a great grip and comfortable to hold. It also comes with a wood block for easy storage and a beautiful display. Moreover, this set has all the knives that you need. Whether you want to slice, dice, or chop your food, this set got your back.
- high quality
Having these best chef knife set is like having a personal assistant in the kitchen. It will make your job so much easier. These best chef knife sets have great value, high quality and they are very durable. We spend a lot of time research before we select each one to put on this list. So we hope you find this article helpful.
What is a chef knife used for?
A chef knife also goes by other names, including a chef’s knife and a cook’s knife. As the name assist, it is an important tool for any chef. Its characteristics include a straight edge and a blade that is not only long but also broad. It is also curved.
For instance, the curved blade makes it ideal for chopping as well as dicing your vegetables. After all, it is ideal for use on the cutting board since it rocks on it backwards and forward perfectly.
On the other hand, its heel area is broad. Consequently, it can withstand a lot of pressure necessary when chopping hard food such as parsnips, onions and potatoes. The bottom line is that it is versatile as far as kitchen matters are concerned. When it comes to mincing and dicing, a chef knife set is the best option any time any day.
How many knives should a chef have?
A chef should have a lot of knives if he or she wants a perfect time in the kitchen. Here are some of the suggestions.
If a chef works on vegetables, there are a number of recommendations.
- Nakiri knife or Japanese knife: They are perfect for chopping. The knives come in handy when chopping large vegetables such as butternut squash and sweet potatoes. They are also perfect for lettuce and cabbages.
- Tomato knives: As the name suggests, they are ideal for cutting as well as slicing tomatoes. In most cases, they have serrated edges.
- Peeling knives: When it comes to fruits, potatoes and vegetables, peeling may become necessary. That’s where the peeling knife comes in.
When dealing with seafood, a fish knife is important. After all, you need to remove bones, descale and fillet. This is what a chef can use for such activities.
- Filleting knife: It removes the bones without tampering with the delicate fish. They easily cut your fish horizontally.
- Salmon knife: It works similarly to the filleting knife. However, its design makes it handy enough for even large fish such as the salmon. So, feel free to skin, fillet and slice your salmon with this knife.
- Santoku knife: If you need to prepare raw fish or sushi, this knife is the best.
Since it will require cutting, a knife is indispensable. You should have a carving knife, cleaver/butcher knife and a boning knife.
A chef knife is ideal for dicing and mincing, a utility knife for chopping small foods and vegetables, paring knife for cutting, chopping and slicing vegetables and fruits and a bread knife for sawing, bread, bread rolls, bagels, baguettes and crusty bread among other types of bread.
What is the difference between a chef knife and a simple knife?
Here are the various features that make a chef knife different from any other knife, including a simple one. Check them out!
- First of all, a chef knife is relatively large. Its size ranges between 6 and 14 inches.
- It is not only long but also broad. Therefore, you get to cut, slice and dice both medium and large ingredients comfortably.
- It is slightly curved hence suitable for conventional rocking motion
- When it comes to slicing, the chef knife makes it accurate, consistent and fast
- Perfect for chopping using the combination of straight and up-down motion
- It is ideal for mincing
- Strong and durable
- Extremely versatile
Everything you should know about chef knife
Here are some facts about the chef knife.
- Generally, the blade is usually 20 centimetres long
- Compared to other knives, chef knife is the most versatile
- They are often confused with Santoku knife, but they are different when it comes to angle, size and geometry
- There are a variety of chef’s knives, including French/Western, Germany, Japanese and Chinese versions. Their distinguishing factors are the handle, blades and construction
- The French ones have straight cutting edges and a relatively curved tip
- A German chef knife is usually curved along its cutting edge
- Equally important, a chef knife may not do things that a simple one or other types can do.
- Sectioning quiches, paninis and sandwiches
- Pairing small vegetables and fruits
- Meticulous mincing and slicing
- Cutting big chunks of meat
- Cutting through a bone
- Slicing buns, bagels and bread
Why should we have it?
Are you wondering if a chef knife is a worthy investment? If so, you should know that there are things that it can do best compared to other knives. Here are some of them.
- Sections large food to make it ready for serving
- Cuts meat into small pieces before cooking
- Chopping onions, garlic, basil, cilantro, parsley and other leafy herbs
- Chopping melon, cantaloupe, celery, cauliflower, broccoli, lettuce and other large vegetables as well as fruits
How to take care and maintain the chef knife
Caring for your knife is important. First of all, it ensures that they last for a long time. Secondly, you get to minimize the chances of the knife hurting you. Here are some of the best ways of maintaining your chef knife set. It is these features that make them ready for a number of tasks.
- Sharpen your knives to ensure that they not only work efficiently but also don’t hurt you easily. Never forget that a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one since it demands the application of a lot of pressure.
- Hone the knives before use especially when working on tough-skins items
- Use a cutting board. Its material should not be harder than that of the knife at all cost. So, go for one made of bamboo, plastic or wood.
- Wash your chef knife set but not in a dishwasher.
- Oil your carbon steel knife lightly after drying it to avoid rust and corrosion
- Store them without exposing the blade for the sake of the knife as well as yourself
How to sharpen the knife?
When it comes to sharpening your knife, one has a number of options. They include:
- Use of a whetstone or a diamond stone
- Using sharpening steel often referred to as a honing rod
- Use of a coffee mug
Let us take a look at how to go about each one of then
How to sharpen a chef knife set using a whetstone
- Place your whetstone with the coarse grit facing up. Place it on either a cutting board or a countertop.
- If you realize that it is sliding, put a wet paper towel under the whetstone
- After that, hold your knife with one hand with its edge against the whetstone Ensure that the knife is not only stable, but its cutting edge also meets the stone at an angle of 22 degrees
- Without applying too much pressure, slide its blade forward and across the stone
- For each side, do at least ten times
- Overturn your whetstone so that the fine grit side is now the one facing up
- Give each side of the blade about ten strokes with the fine grit side
- Hone the knife using a sharpening steel
- Rinse the blade and wipe it dry.
How to sharpen a chef knife set using a honing rod
- Start by placing the honing rod in your hand usually the one that is non-dominant
- Hold your knife on the other hand preferably the dominant one
- The knife and the honing rod should be placed at an angle of 20 degrees from each one
- At that angle, move the knife across the top of a honing rod
- Maintaining the recommended angle, move the knife across the honing rod’s bottom half
How to sharpen a chef knife set using a coffee mug
- Look for an old coffee mug and place it upside down. Keep in mind that its material should be ceramic. That’s because the material will be rough enough to sharpen your knife.
- Repeatedly sweep one side of your knife’s blade across its grid
- While at it, maintain an angle of 20 degrees
- Repeat the same with the other side of the blade
- Do the same for either side once again preferably three times for each, but this time around alternate them after every sweep
- Last but not least, do 6 to 8 swipes using a honing rod
From the above discussion, it is clear that we have summarized a lot about an ideal chef knife set. We have drawn a parallel line between a chef knife and other types of knives that one may use in his or her kitchen. The article has also defined a chef knife and explained when to use it and when not to grab it. To make you decide whether it is worth buying or not, we have also highlighted the benefits of owning one. Once you buy, this article will also help maintain it to ensure that it lasts for long. It also guides you on how to sharpen it when the need arises.